Sunday, June 28, 2009

Tourist typist goes shopping

With the revolving door of tourist typists moving in and out of the ranks of the Frostbite Falls Fishwrap, it’s hard to keep tabs on who’s who.

Each time we get a new reporter here, we have to endure the training period of this newbie, who gets scared out of bed when a fighter jet flies overhead or when he plays mix and match on the names and faces of the people in Streetbeat.

You’d think by now the Fishwrap would have a policy on topics these tourists should avoid writing about. Obviously they don’t, so I’ll help them out here.

This week’s Inuvik Dumb has an editorial titled “Getting the shaft,” where he whimpers about the high price of food here. The typist drones on about his trip to Whitehorse, where he found lower-priced food than Inuvik. What a revelation! Your Pulitzer is in the mail, Mr. Editor.

Here’s the first paragraph:

“Living in Inuvik, I go through phases where I lose track of the outside world and just accept certain things, good and bad, about living in a remote location.”

For starters, maybe your world exists outside Inuvik, but your readers’ world is right here. Maybe you feel Inuvik is remote, but this is the home of your readers. We all know you’re a tourist. You don’t need to remind us each week. 

As bad as this rag is, this is our newspaper -- not your fucking travelogue. Maybe your parents or buddies back home might appreciate hearing about your adventures on your little trip to our "remote" town, but you're paid to record the history of this place. 

Secondly, people who live here don’t need to be reminded of the cost of food. They’ve been paying it long before you stepped off the plane for your arctic adventure.

It gets worse. He moans on about paying $10 year-round for two litres of milk. I don’t know where he’s been buying his milk, but even when the road was out, I've never paid more than $9. 

The tourist calls for an “arm’s length government body” that would monitor the price of food on store shelves. Hate to break news to the news guy, but we already have that in place – it’s called the “free market.”

We have three grocery stores here that are all competing for our food dollar. The intrepid reporter might get off his lazy ass and go price check himself.

Another tip for the news guy: if you spend less time driving to Whitehorse and more time covering your beat, you might actually gain some credibility with your readers.

On a brighter note, I see the Fishwrap has snagged a shining star with the addition of Katie May. While the tourist was away shopping in Whitehorse, Katie picked up the slack in this week’s Dumb, with some fine news writing.

I’ll be sad to see her go, but that’s the reality. The good ones come for the experience and move on to the dailies in the south. The rest (like the mouth-breathing meat blob, Piggy Puglia) will go uncalled for and resort to spell checking in the integrity-free zone of the Fishwrap’s newsroom.

13 comments:

  1. Paint by numbers man, we got the fruit man story on the first issue, what more do you expectt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I had a laugh with the Fruitman about that!
    "Every time a new reporter comes to town they feel like they have to do a Fruitman story," Bill said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I called that the second the last editor resigned! Apparently his name is Fred now too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gawd...poor Bill. I didn't read it. Just a glance at the headline followed by some eye rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see you rip a newbie Terry. It's always nice to attack someone who is new to town.

    What kind of councillor are you where you attack someone who is coming to YOUR community and bringing talent to the table?

    You'd be ignorant to think that what Andrew Rankin is doing with that paper isn't above and beyond the work done in years past.

    I'll admit, the editorial wasn't the best and I understand no one wants to hear about the 'south' when they've lived there for most, if not all of their entire lives, but since he got there in Janaury he's done some amazing stories, both hard-hitting and community based. And you can't forget the great photography work.

    I'd challenge you to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Derek,

    I've cut this "newbie" slack for six months. I've seen him pop in late, if at all, to so major events around town.
    I suppose the real reason you've got your back up, is that's not his fault -- it's yours. You slack-ass spellcheckers have forgotten the fundamentals of news gathering; cops, court, council and school board.
    You favour the sensational and ignore the day-to-day historic moments and the plain truth about the world we live and work to make better. You pander to the lurid and ignore the greater good.
    I'm not here to blow my own, but since you asked, I'm the type of councillor who expects as good as he gives (and gave). In the two years I worked for the Drum, I missed one council meeting. I can count on one hand the number of times Rankin has attended in six months.
    The people here don't deserve anything less than my best and they get it. That's why they elected and re-elected me.
    If I received the same commitment of excellence from the incompetents in your office, I'd still be doing it.
    As for your challenge, I accept it. What you see here is only the beginning.

    Terry

    p.s. Why is it that you editors are so afraid of publishing your names? You don't sign your editorials and leave your comments anon here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terry:

    You still have a ways to go to reach the lofty heights attained by Lou Sebert – elected (what was it?) five times in a row as a town councillor in Fort Smith before the voters finally got him. I hear Sebert now considers himself the Roger Federer of NWT town councillors. However, we won't get into his record running for MLA.

    Darren Campbell
    Editor
    The glossy rag Up Here Beeswax

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Terry --
    I enjoy your blog -- it's always great hearing a different point of view.
    I freely admit I haven't read the Drum in years. I don't know the content or the new reporter.
    Having worked in Inuvik, I remember struggling during my first few months as a reporter there -- it was very difficult getting people to talk on record. Every day I was reminded of the fact that I was an outsider. It didn't seem to matter how hard I worked, how approachable, or credible or how visible I was in the community.
    I remember being very upset -- knowing there were stories going uncovered but being unable to report on them because people wouldn't talk. And often times I felt my stories were medicore because I needed to produce something.
    Just wanted to share my experience.
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's an editor with some guts.
    Yes DC, all Sebert had to do was point.
    When he suggested that wealthy seniors have to qualify tax-free status, they slew him at the polls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Stacey
    Thanks for your post.
    We all go through that in every new town or new beat you cover. It takes a while to build credibility and confidence.
    Whenever I went to a new place, I'd seek out the worst bar in town. I figured that if could become friends with the folks there, the rest would come easy. Made for some nasty hangovers, but I got far more news off the barstool than I did the fax machine.
    I think too many people get into journalism for the wrong reasons. I saw so many young people approach this job like they were the stars of the show and they failed bitterly.
    Journalism needs to be approached with humility; you are never more important than the people you write about. These hacks who come up here and slag off this tripe infuriate me. They think we deserve less than their best because Inuvik isn't Toronto and the Drum is not the Globe.
    Puglia's comment on Inuvik being "buttfuck nowhere" is case and point. That mentality is exactly why he can't succeed at his craft. He thinks he's above the people he works for.
    Journalism is a public service and to succeed you have to at least have respect for the people you serve.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chris Piggy PugliaJune 29, 2009 at 11:04 PM

    Oh Terry, all this attention is going to my head.
    Oh well, it makes me laugh.
    Anyway, as Megan put it, anyone with a 10th grade understanding of English knows that my comments were designed to piss you off. Obviously it worked.
    If I did indeed offend anyone else in Inuvik, well, that I regret. Frankly, I have a great deal of respect for all the communities in the North. I've spent time in a few of them and enjoyed the experience.
    My comments were not a reflection of what I truly think of Inuvik, I just knew it would irk you. I grew up in a smaller town than Inuvik and worked a papers in towns of comparable size before moving to the North. I am no stranger to small-town life.
    Ciao.
    Chris "Piggy" Puglia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, well, well. It's a kinder, more gentler Piggy when you use your real name.
    You didn't irk or piss me off. In fact, you gave me one of the best posts I've had here. I've never had so many hits. Mind you, about 300 of them came from you.
    You really should get a hobby ... or a job.
    And get yourself an editor too. it's "10th Grade", "worked AT papers" and "small town" is not a hyphenated word.
    That's another reason why we can't keep good talent in the North -- you hacks can't teach these young people anything.

    ReplyDelete

Insert your stupid comment here