Sunday, May 10, 2009

Bevington bails on gun vote


I’ve never been a real “gun nut,” but I’ve lived my whole live within easy reach of one.

My dad taught me to shoot and hunt and some of my fondest memories are of hunting birds with dad. Growing up, I probably ate more wild game than I did beef or chicken. Hunting was not something different or exceptional, it was life as we knew it and as it has been for many people in rural and remote areas. 

On April 22, there was a vote in the House of Commons to end the amnesty to gun owners whom have not yet registered their guns. Despite years of railing on about how he would work to repeal this boondoggle legislation, our MP, Dennis Bevington, decided not to show up for work that day. His comrades in the NDP all voted in favour of ending the amnesty, but Bevington didn’t have the balls to stand up for Northerners or with his comrades.

The Groucho Marxist told the Frostbite Falls Fishwrap that he’s waiting for the government to get the wording just right before he honours the House with his presence to vote.

“I want to see the government actually bring forward changes to the registry that would work for people in the North,” Bevington said.

This, coming from the same guy who said Ethel Blondin-Andrew “betrayed the people of the North,” when she voted for the Liberal gun registry. “The importance of hunting and trapping in the North can't be understated.”

Apparently it can. If you don’t show up to represent the people who elected you, that’s a huge understatement.

 

The bingo callers fell silent

Kudos to the fishwrap for reporting and editorializing on this latest example of Bevington's backsliding. The Berkenstocks and socks crowd over at the Communist Broadcasting Corporation ignored it completely.

Not surprising, I think Bevington is keeping their bongs gurgling and well-stoked with wood pellets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Insert your stupid comment here